If you thinking about having some friends over for bunch but have no idea what to make or you are just looking for a simple and quick breakfast give these cinnamon pecan scones a try. They take less than 30 minutes from start to finish and go great with coffee or tea.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ – ¾ cup sugar (depends on how much of a sweet tooth you have!)
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ – ½ cup half and half or buttermilk*
- 1 egg
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt or sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. While it is preheating, toast your pecans for 5 minutes (stir them every couple of minutes). After the time is up, remove the pecans and set them aside in the freezer.
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter, add in your butter. Continue cutting until your ingredients resemble cornmeal then stir in the pecans.
- Whisk your egg and add to the mixture; add in the vanilla extract as well – do NOT stir the mixture yet.
- Stirring as little as possible, add in just enough half-and-half (or buttermilk) so that the dough will stick together. It should crumble easily and there will still be flour in the bowl.
- Flour your cutting board and turn out your dough; lightly knead the dough until it is maleable and smooth.
- Divide your dough into two even halves then shape them into circles; pat them down until they are approximately one inch thick.
- Cut each circle into six pieces.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with non-stick spray, oil, or parchment paper then transfer the scones. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Cinnamon pecan scone are best when served warm, enjoy!
*Don’t have buttermilk on hand? Make your own! It’s fast and easy to do. All you need is regular milk and some lemon juice or white vinegar. If you need half a cup of buttermilk, measure out a scant ½ cup milk and add in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Let it sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes then use it as you would buttermilk!